May 25, 2013 by Kira Lyn Blue
I blame Misha Burnett for sending it my way. Look out, Misha, payback’s a beyotch. The ninja squirrels may have smaller claws than the WIP Update Beast, but they’re infinitely more annoying.
1. What’s the name of your current WIP?
Murphy’s First Law. It’s the first in a series about Jacquelyn “Jac” Montgomery, a chaos class sorceress.
2. Ready to do a cover reveal?
Sadly, no. I still need to locate a cover artist and I need one like last week. I’m open to suggestions or referrals.
3. How many words are you into it?
The current draft is 130k and I’m currently working on revisions and trying to trim the fat. Yes, I’m wordy and I know it.
4. Goal word count by end of the week?
By Friday, May 31st, I’d like to 5 chapters of this draft revised.
5. Goal word count for the entire manuscript?
I’d like to cut it down to 100k.
6. What genre does your WIP fall within?
7. When would you *like* to publish this project?
If you asked me that question earlier this year, I’d have said by June. I can tell you now that ain’t happening. This is my first “completed” novel and I’m struggling with the revision process. I got the first draft of my book done in four months, but the revisions are taking much, much longer.
For now, let’s say no later than September 2013.
8. Go to page five of your manuscript and pick a random sentence to share with us!
“Those who weren’t talking about the accident were heatedly arguing over whether or not they had seen “something big and man-eating” disembowel a bystander and dart off into the alley behind the building adjacent to the accident. No one had even noticed it pouncing on me.”
9. Will this WIP turn into a series?
Yep. It was always intended to be.
10. What has been the hardest challenge in working on this WIP?
Revising. There’s two aspects of the revisions that are working in tandem to drive me insane. First, I need to revise to make my MC’s actions and decisions more clear and understandable and focused on the primary motivator for her character. At the same time, I have to cut my word count. I keep finding myself trying to do both at once and it slows down the entire process.
11. What has been your favorite part of working on this WIP?
Ooh, that’s a toss-up. I have a secondary character that I adore and he’s my favorite to write because he’s the comic relief. I’ve also really enjoyed workshopping with my critique partners and beta readers. It’s quite a bit of fun to see their impressions on the story and characters.
12. Any special treat planned for when you finish the final draft of your WIP?
Huh, I hadn’t really thought about it. Maybe I’ll reward myself with a new tattoo. I have a habit of getting them to commemorate milestones in my life.
13. Tag 3 people to complete this WIP meme!